Saturday 31 October 2015

Countdown to Halloween: Nine Things I Love About Halloween

#9
It's Halloween night, and I've left my husband to do the duties at the door, now that the trick-or-treaters seem to be calling it a night. It's time to write about the ninth thing I love about Halloween . . . jack-'o-lanterns.

I just have a wee one this year, carved on the fly and not very elaborate, but I have to have one at my door to welcome all the ghouls, goblins, and princesses coming for a visit. I am proud, however, of the two pumpkins I carved for my second Anna Nolan mystery cover, Town Haunts. I wanted the pumpkins shot in front of a mausoleum. My husband, who once earned a living as a professional photographer, took the pictures. We were both scared that a cemetery employee would suddenly appear, demanding what we were doing there with a couple of pumpkins, but since we had chosen a secluded part of the graveyard, no one disturbed us. We were very respectful, by the way. Not even a burnt match was left behind.

But I digress. Here's a shot of the pumpkins for my book cover.



And later when it got darker.



And here's how the cover finally appeared.


To round out this post, I've collected a few pictures of jack-'o-lanterns carved by some very talented and clever folks. 










Until next year. Happy Halloween!



If you would like to receive an e-mail when a new Cathy Spencer novel is released, just leave your name and e-mail address with the "Contact Cathy" app to the right of this post.

<jack-'o-lanterns> <pumpkins> <Halloween>

No comments:

Post a Comment