Tuesday 23 April 2013

When Authors Have to Have a Thick Skin

So, probably the worst part about being an author is when someone gives you a lousy review.  Anyone can write and publish a review these days; all they have to have is a blog, no credentials required.  It doesn't matter that they didn't read your book very carefully or are misinformed; they can say whatever they like.  And it's seen as poor form for an author to respond in her own defence.  Not only does it look like sour grapes, but the author might become the target of malicious reviews as payback.  While the book-sharing platforms can be a lot of fun - people get together to recommend the books they love - they are also used by people who self-aggrandize by trashing other peoples' work.

Today The Affairs of Harriet Walters, Spinster got trashed, and that's frustrating.  Not just trashed, but major plot points were given away without so much as a "spoiler alert," and when I pointed this out to the site managers, my knuckles were rapped.  I won't direct you to the website because I don't want to promote them and because I don't want to spoil the book for people who haven't read it yet.  I am, however, very grateful every time someone who enjoys one of my books makes a special effort to leave a good review.  It is so much easier to tear things down than to build them up.

So, thanks to everyone who likes my books and passes the word along to their friends.  I'm going to hold my head up and keep on writing for a long time to come.  Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Good point, Cathy, it is so much easier to tear things down than build them up.

    When I receive a poor review, I always tell myself a bad reader review is better than a good rejection letter anytime! It means my work is out there and being read, which, after all, is what it's all about. :)

    ReplyDelete